Ten Questions for Your Character
1 minute read
It’s time to do one of our favourite things: chat about our characters as if they’re real people. Whether you’re working on a novel, a short story or a script, we all know it takes time and thought to build a character who comes alive on the page. If you’ve already taken our ultimate character questionnaire, here are ten new questions to help you get to know your protagonist even better.
- What did/would your character do during lockdown? (Even if Covid will – understandably – not feature in the world of your novel, it’s useful to think about how they’d react when their everyday routine is taken away. Are they the friend who organised the Zoom quizzes each week or did they isolate themselves? Learnt a language or binge-watched endless Netflix shows? Worked out with Joe Wicks or snuck out to illegal raves?)
- What is the thing in their life they feel guiltiest about? What would they do if they were given an opportunity to atone for or correct it?
- What was the last thing they purchased?
- Last message they received?
- The last thing that made them truly angry?
- If they could live in any other time period, which would they choose? Why? Do they feel at home in the time they live in?
- If they had to describe their current state of mind in a single word, what would it be? How about three words? Five?
- What was the first thing they thought when they woke up this morning?
- What’s the last thing they do before they go to bed?
- What is the biggest mistake they’ve ever made? And what about their best decision?
FeaturesMy Road to Publication
Academy alumna Sarah Clarke on getting her book deal, and the hope that kept her goingRead More
FeaturesAm I Marmite?
Academy alumna and debut novelist Liz Webb on the perils of writing a character based on yourselfRead More
Recommendations from Faber
A brand new edition of Sally Rooney's modern classic, exclusively for Faber Members.
Never Let Me Go
A striking new design, launched as part of our autumn Faber Editions collection.
Personalised poetry books
Create your own personalised, hardback poetry book, choosing from eight themes and adding your own title and dedication. The perfect gift for the people you care about.
Founded in 1929 in London, Faber is one of the world's great publishing houses. Our list of authors includes thirteen Nobel Laureates and six Booker Prize-winners.Visit Faber